Monday, October 13, 2008

Shepherd Homecoming 2008

October 10th was a very special Homecoming day for Shepherd Public Schools. It was a bit chaotic with all of the hoopla, but it was a fun time for the students and community. I think the staff enjoyed it as well, but I know they have to deal with a lot of extra stress during the Homecoming week. This is especially true of the advisors. I am fortunate because I have been able to experience Shepherd Homecomings from a variety of angles. My parents were graduates from Shepherd High School, and I have lived in Shepherd all of my life. So, I remember Homecomings as a kid in elementary and middle school. I remember Homecoming as a high school student and a football player. I remember the excitement of being a football player during the Homecoming week and receiving special attention. We had the same traditions that we have today - floats, halls, the pep assemblies. I know that there is much more to the game than the wins and losses, but I am glad to say that we won the three Homecoming games in which I played! I remember coming back to the Homecoming parade and the game as an alumni and eventually as a staff member. These last two years I have been able to experience Homecoming as the principal. I can't remember every Homecoming at Shepherd High School, but I know I have been to over thirty. It is interesting to me to contemplate the various ways I have experienced Shepherd High School Homecomings! This year's was an especially cool experience. The floats, halls, assemblies, and class competitions were good as always, but the game was something special since it was the last time a varsity game would be played on the only field Shepherd football has known - at least as far as any research could determine. The game was very exciting. We won. But, what was so significant was how the players, the band, the coaches, and the fans all came together after the game to celebrate. That was a very special moment. The next home varsity game will begin a new era of Shepherd football as we inaugurate the new football field and sports complex. History is interesting. We have a strong football history here at Shepherd High School. We will play our first home game in the new complex 100 years from the first organized Shepherd football team in 1909. The history and tradition will continue. Homecoming may take a new shape, but hopefully all alumni and friends will return to Shepherd High School Homecomings with pride and fond memories!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't think I would be where I'm at.