Friday, November 21, 2008

Social Networking

I don't know about you, but I am one of the "hold-outs" when it comes to Facebook or My Space. I know a lot of people who really enjoy this "social networking" and staying in contact with people. My wife is one of those people. Maybe some day I will finally give in to these applications, but for now, it seems like I don't have time to do the things that I need to do - let alone keep up with all of the social networking stuff. The only experience I have had with My Space is being named by students when there are student conflicts being discussed. I think it would be best not to repeat what it said, however! I try to use technology that helps me with my job. Even the blog that I do has work-related themes. I am sure this will come as a great surprise, but I am really a shy person so social networking isn't a natural priority. My shyness is something that I have worked on forever. When I was younger, I was so shy that I would never even talk to a waitress in a restaurant. Finally at 17, my mom told me she wouldn't tell the waitress my order any more - just kidding, but it did take me a long time. I wish interacting with people came more naturally to me. It is a wonder I ever married. When I was first hired at Shepherd, my wife Kristi stopped to introduce herself to me. I know she probably will tell a different story, but the way I remember it is that she stopped to introduce herself to me. I guess that gave me enough courage to begin communication with her, and the rest, as they say, is history. I don't want people to misunderstand. It is not that I don't want to see people and find out what people are doing, but social interaction on a non-professional level is hard for me. I enjoy finding out what others are doing and finding out what direction life has taken them, but I don't seek this information out - unlike Kristi who could probably run an effective presidential campaign with all of her social networking connections. I am still holding out. I have to work on my social disorders slowly. I don't want to shock my system. For now, the phone, email, voicemail, and even a little chat is about as far as I can go. I know some of you are well past that, but I am sure there have to be some other folks out there like me!

No comments: